Friday, November 7, 2014

Teaching Tip: Dr. Leah Olson-McBride on Minute Writes

Minute Writes are the quickest, easiest, and most immediate way to get feedback from students. Dr. Leah Olson-McBride, Department of Social Work, describes how she implements them in her class:


I use the Minute Writes in content heavy classes, like my Research Methods course. Students write on scrap paper and anonymously put down what they get, and what they don’t get regarding that day’s material. I also added a restaurant-comment prompt they can address: what can I do to improve your experience in this class? The students will fill these out occasionally, mostly when I get a read that a lot of people are not getting it. I’ll read them after class, and if I see any big themes about things they aren’t understanding, I reteach that material at the beginning of the next class in a different way. Having the additional source of feedback on how the overall course is going is really helpful too: it’s as useful to hear that everything is going all right as it is to hear that you need to change something.
Interviewed by: Jon Pumper

For more information and variations on the Minute Write, view Carleton College’s compilation here.



No comments:

Post a Comment